Chiang Mai Zoo
While Chiang Mai is known for its elephants, visitors to this city have the opportunity to see far more animals than the ones that reside in the elephant camps. Originally established by an American missionary back in the 1970s, the Zoo and Aquarium have continuously grown their animal population as well as their educational programs. If you want to take a break from the city and spend part of your vacation exploring the more nature infused side of Chiang Mai, check out the zoo and aquarium.
What Will You See?
Even though Chiang Mai is considered a smaller city, the zoo and aquarium are not. These establishments hold a wide of array of animals and fish ranging from big cats to giraffes. Some animals you may encounter include:
- A variety of fish
- Sting Rays
What Can You do?
Aside from viewing the fantastic collection of animals from around the globe, the zoo and aquarium offer enrichment programs and activities to keep everyone entertained. Some available activities include:
- Snow Dome (150 Baht): A re-creation of the climate from the North and South poles that allows visitors to experience what it is like in a real snow storm.
- Monorail Rides (150 Baht for adults and 100 for children): Take a monorail around the park to see the beautiful habitats with ease.
- Animal Enrichment Programs: Learn about the animals, their habitats and how they live and eat every day. Activities vary by the week.
- Animal Shows: Check out a seal show to watch how these adorable animals can be trained to perform tricks for the viewers.
- Activities: Check out the kid zone for an interactive adventure.
-Opening Hours: The zoo and aquarium are open from 8:00 to 17:00
-Prices: Entrance fee for adults is 150 Baht and 70 Baht for children.
-The Parking Fee: 50 Baht for cars, 10 Baht for motorbikes and 1 Baht for bicycles.
-Location: The zoo and aquarium are located on Huay Kaew Rd., is just a few minutes’ drive outside of the main city center and is easily reached by taxi or private transportation.
Contact: The zoo and aquarium can be contacted by email at chiangmaizoomail@